Fibreglass Swimming Pools VS. Concrete Swimming Poolsfibreglass swimming pools and concrete pools is one of the big questions. And while not everyone likes comparison lists, this is a good opportunity to compare pros and cons. The thing is, well-informed consumers make much better decisions all round. And when comparing fibreglass swimming pools and concrete pools, it’s particularly important. Once again, working with a good pool builder will make for sound decisions that are made collectively - and those decisions will accurately reflect the customer’s pre-requisites.
The pros and cons of fibreglass swimming pools
- The coated surface of fibreglass swimming pools is nonporous. It will inhibit algae growth and reduce the need for chemicals.
- Very seldom is there any repair or restoration required on the surface of fibreglass swimming pools. Therefore, no extra costs.
- Most fibreglass swimming pools will have the seating and steps fabricated right into the shell. This is practical and aesthetic.
- The shells of fibreglass swimming pools are pre-built. Therefore the installation process tends to be more quick than concrete.
- Fibreglass swimming pools are manufactured using a mold, so the selection of shapes and sizes can sometimes be limited.
- Fibreglass swimming pools are usually more costly than vinyl liner pools, but are about the same investment as concrete.
The pros and cons of concrete swimming pools
- Concrete swimming pools can be built in practically any size or shape, and in any depth. They are custom built to suit the need.
- Concrete pools offer flexible design features, like the edge work or the stairs, or entries. Here again, everything is customized.
- At one point, a concrete swimming pool needs to be renovated. Whether it’s re-surfacing or re-tiling, it’s an added expense.
- The surface of a concrete swimming pool is quite porous, and requires more chemicals and filtration than other pools.
- Because of the more involved construction process, the concrete pool will take longer to build and install than most other pools.